When the weather turns cold, a warming winter bowl full of legumes, vegetables and spices is the perfect comforting stew.
- 125g red lentils, dried weight
- 250ml water
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
- 2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle chilli flakes
- 1 courgette
- 3 large carrots or 6 small carrots
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- quinoa or brown rice
- fresh coriander
Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan oven). Prepare the carrot and courgette and chop into bite sized pieces. Transfer to a baking tray, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and roast the vegetables for 20 minutes.
In another saucepan, cook the lentils in 250ml of water. Bring to the boil then lower the heat and leave to simmer. Whilst the lentils are simmering, add all of the remaining ingredients including the chickpeas, chilli flakes, spices, chopped tomatoes and lemon juice.
Leave the mixture to simmer for 30 minutes. If it is too dry, add a little water, depending on how much liquid the lentils absorb. Remember to stir occasionally.
Serve with quinoa or brown rice, topped with a scattering of fresh coriander leaves.